Thursday, January 26, 2006

First Blog


Hi, I'm Sue, I've loved art and crafts since I can remember, I used to draw constantly when I was a kid. I've tried about every craft available, but quilting just got hold and won't let go. I still like to woodcarve, do beadwork, and paint on occasion, but I really am fanatical about quilting. Experienced quilters usually understand completely, people who want to quilt think it's pretty cool, but non-quilters usually think it's kind of weird to want to possess neverending piles of fabric, shelves of quilting books, rolls of fuzzy ribbon & as many types of threads as affordable. I consider it good therapy, so no worries here.
I don't have any pics of current projects (not much sunshine here lately), so I'll post some pics of projects made in the last year. I love Amish quilts and the quilting on the Trip Around the World miniature quilt above was inspired by a real Amish quilt made in 1930 (A Treasury of Amish Quilts by Rachel and Kenneth Pellman). The hand quilting on the teal border (vines and flowers) is as close as I could get to what was in the real quilt. I thought it a little unusual for an Amish quilt, usually they seem to have some cable quilting or feathering around the border.
I'll eventually take some pictures of my craft room, but we're putting an addition on the house and getting ready to move rooms around (my craft room will be downstairs eventually) so it's a big mess. The addition (our new bedroom & bath!) was supposed to be done by Christmas and here we are at the end of January with just a shell of a room. The situation is really reminding me of the movie The Money Pit, where the homeowners were always asking when the house would be completed and the answer was always "two weeks". Ah well, it will get done eventually.
Didn't do any quilting today (well yesterday, actually, since it's well past midnight), I went to Shipshewana, Indiana. It's a great little town full of nice shops and the home of Lolly's, one of my favorite fabric stores. The building that housed Lolly's burnt down about a year ago and they recently opened the new building. It's much larger, it includes a scrapbooking store, really cute toy store, bakery, nice antique shop, a store with Amish made quilts, and lots more. They even have a puppet theatre for kids, and they're building a wonderful carousel with hand carved horses on the top floor, it's going to be awesome.
Current reading: Nature's Studio by Joan Colvin. I'm eagerly awaiting an earlier book of hers that I found on eBay; The Nature of Design.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bernie said...

Are you Eloise's cousin that I knew from California?

10:24 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Hi Bernie, I wasn't able to reply to you directly. Nope, I'm not Eloises's cousin.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home