Saturday, February 25, 2006

Beware of Darkness

This is a wall hanging that I made for my son recently. It's about depression, which I have a problem with from time to time. Some of the fabric is fused, some appliqued, there is some embroidery embellishment and some light beading. It didn't turn out as I had pictured it in my mind, I need to experiment with other fusibles, as the stuff I used was hard to sew through.
I finally got my husband to take a day off and we went to Shipshewana, Indiana. A large building in the center of town that housed several shops burnt down 2 years ago and just reopened recently. They had their grand opening this weekend. On the top floor they're building a wonderful carousel, a local artist is handcarving all the horses (and some other animals, too).
The people who own the building have something like 25 grandchildren, so they asked for their suggestions as to what to put in the building for children's enjoyment. The top floor also has a puppet theatre, but they passed on one grandchild's suggestion to put a slide that goes from the top floor to the bottom, hah! Aren't they wonderful? The woodcarver is Al Bontrager, a pamphlet handed out at the grand opening says he learned to carve from his grandfather when he was a young boy (he's Amish). The painter is Cheryl Kellet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin said...

That's a gorgeous quilt - well done. I also have problems with depression - as I get older I get better at recognising the onset, but I can't do anything to stop it.

Have you tired Esterita Austin's MISTYFUSE products? I ahev no affiliations, just a very happy user - it's fine soft fusible, i even use it with sheers. I like to do handwork and this is the first fusible I find that's not a problem.

Welcome to the artful quilters ring!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Thanks Caitlin, I haven't heard of Mistyfuse, but I'll look for it.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home