Thursday, February 09, 2006

Grandma Glenn's Quilts

These quilts were all made by my husband's grandmother, Marie Glenn. She really inspired me, I had always wanted to quilt, but had only tried little projects. Grandma Glenn's quilts just bowled me over, though she was such an expert hand quilter that I don't think I'll ever be able to master stitches as little and even as hers. She started quilting when she was a young girl, her Mom had made some "comforts" (I believe these were hand tied utility quilts) but Grandma Glenn said she pretty much just taught herself to make quilts. Grandma Glenn was a prolific quilter, the family really has no idea how many quilts she made in her lifetime. She gave away and sold many, and also did hand quilting for people that had quilt tops they wanted finished.
It was quite a treat to visit Grandm Glenn's house, she loved to show her quilts and would open this drawer and that cupboard and make all sorts of lovely quilts appear, it was like a treasure hunt to me. Though Grandma never got a chance to see the internet, I think she'd get a big kick out of people seeing her quilts this way, she loved showing them to people. I wish you could get a closer look, her stitching is amazing!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I love the vibrant colours of Grandma Glenn's quilts. How long ago were these quilts made?

11:20 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

She made quilts most of her life from the time she was a young teen. Most that I've seen seem to be from the 1940s to the 1980s. Grandma Glenn lived from 1910-1998 and only stopped quilting a few years before her death. She did love bright colors, and I think her favorite pattern was the Lone Star.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home