Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Not the best day ever.

I've writing from a local motel tonight, we had fire in our house today, so we're out until the insurance people okay our return. We've been having some work done on the house, and today when I was out shopping with my daughter, the workers smelled something amiss and realized that something was burning. The firemen were there in about 8 minutes, but didn't find the fire smouldering in the attic for over an hour, since there are a few attics and they were all filled with smoke. We were really fortunate, the damage is mostly in a bathroom that we were having remodeled, and the attic area above it, where we didn't have much stored. Not sure how much was damaged in the attic yet, and how much smoke damage there is. My sewing room is the room right off that attic, so it's a mess from the firemen tearing out around the attic door so they could fit in there with their gear and stomping around through the mess, and it got a lot of smoke, but it doesn't look too bad, I'll probably be washing a ton of fabric and a few quilts that were up there and getting my Bernina and a computer checked out, boy I hope they didn't get damaged by the smoke.
I'm NOT complaining about the firemen, I know they did what they had to to find the fire, they did a great job (it looks like a ceiling light/vent overheated). Instead of totally soaking the attic, they found out exactly where the fire was and basically drizzed water down over it so there isn't a lot of water damage as far as we know. We'll get a better look tomorrow. There were firemen from four different townships because they kept calling others in when they couldn't locate the fire, it was a bit of a shock to pull up and see so many fire trucks and firemen there, I thought it was going to be a lot worse than it actually was.
I have to tell you a funny story, it's a small town thing. Our neighbor, Jodi, went down to our house when she saw the fire trucks, and talked to the workmen, who weren't able to reach us by phone. Not sure why unless they were using the wrong area code, because none of us ever got a message from them. Anyway, Jodi didn't know our cell phone numbers, so she called the local phone company and asked to talk to another neighbor (Vicky) that works there. Jodi couldn't remember our daughter's new married name, so she asked Vicky if she knew what her last name was so she could try to contact her. Vicky knows my daughter's in-laws, they live right next to the phone company, so she called them and told them about the fire, they called our son-in-law, who called my daughter and I. That sort of cracks me up, even in the midst of all this.....I love small towns.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karoda said...

oh, my heart breaks a little over the house fire, but yet, so relieved to read no harm came to you or your family or the work crew.

10:23 PM  
Blogger teri springer said...

Ok Sue, so which small town?? I am hoping to find some art quilters in SW MI interested in starting a support/crit group. I know you have your hands full right now but please email me when you have time....if you need anything, thread, fabric, loaner machine....holler.

teri
teri@fiberandthread.com

5:44 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Oh, Sue, I'm so sorry about the fire, but I'm SO glad you are all safe. Hope the Bernina came through without damage. :-)

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home