Friday, August 11, 2006

Shipshewana Quilts

Go ahead...take a peek! This is one of my favorite shops in Shipshy. There are two Lolly's stores, one is a fabric store, and this one sells quilts, Amish dolls, and other assorted goodies. This window isn't outside, but in the hallway next to the store. Much better looking than normal windows, it gives it a homey look.

I want a wall like this at home! The quilts are so well made, skillfully quilted, and there's such a nice variety. One I really liked was made of cotton fabrics and then had flowers and leaves of wool appliqued on top.

This quilt is probably my favorite one out of this bunch, but don't hold me to that! I love the colors and the quilting is so nice on this. I believe these are all pieced and quilted by Amish or Mennonite women, I'll have to ask next time I'm there to be sure. I have to wonder about the Amish life, if it's as idyllic as it seems. It seems like it would be wonderful to live a simpler life, there's such an excess of 'bad' in the world, and sometimes I think it's too much. It's great to live in an age where you can know what's going on in the world in an instant, but when we're bombarded with so much tragedy every day, from our own cities to the far reaches of the planet, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better NOT to have all that coming at us all the time. Maybe it's just me, I've read that some people have a much easier time 'blocking' things out and dealing with them as they come, and others don't have as much of an ability to filter things out, so they get 'overloaded'.
The one thing I don't like about the Amish way of life is that if someone has a special talent, they're rarely allowed to develop it, since it would be shameful to put any one person above the others. At least the Quakers were better in that respect, they encouraged their people use their talents, as they found it benefited the whole community. I guess there are exceptions with the Amish, though, when I was in the gallery in Shipshewana Tuesday, there were some paintings there done by a young Amish woman. The man at the gallery said that her family had some financial problems because one of the family was ill, so she was given special permission by the religious leader of the community to make and sell her paintings.

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda J. Huff said...

You know I have not been to Shipshewana for quite some time. I think it was just after they started construction on the new Lollys. I have relatives and friends in the Mishawaka/South Bend area. I need to think about planning a road trip! Thanks for the reminder.

Linda

11:49 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi, Sue, I stopped by to see your blog. Wonderful photos and Shipshewana is one of the best places ever, great to see some photos of it.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

Those are beautiful!

4:23 PM  
Blogger jpquilter said...

I was in Shipshewana a number of years ago and reading your posts makes me want to go back - thanks for posting - Juliann

6:17 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Oh my goodness! Such a feast for the eyes! I'm so glad I saw your link on Karen's last post! I"ve heard how wonderful Shipshewana and Lollies is, but I"ve never been there before. Your making me drool and wanting to hop in the car right now!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home