Saturday, September 23, 2006

Quilt Auction

Today my DH & I took a day trip to Indiana to the Mennonite Quilt Auction in Goshen. It was kind of a disappointment, usually there are many more quilts, and the rainy day didn't help either. We didn't know why the auction was smaller, but we met up with someone who explained that the younger Mennonites aren't taking up the cause, and the older people who put the auction together are dying out. Not sure if that's the case or just talk, but if that's true, it's sad. The proceeds from the auction and other events that go on there (antique auction, sales of food & etc.) go to help a lot of people around the world. We were delayed in getting down there, so we missed a lot of the quilts that were sold early in the day. The one that we saw get the best price was this Mariner's Compass, it went for $3,000. It was just beautiful, finely hand quilted.
This Log Cabin was one my husband really liked, the colors were nothing I'd have chosen, but I really liked it, too. I think it sold for $1,200, a bit out of my price range. I'm still working on a pattern that I saw there LAST year, so I don't think I'll be making this one. I hope someone else posts pics from the auction so I can see what we missed, there were a lot of afgans, small quilts and comforters, we didn't see too many of the large, heavily quilted quilts that are the stars of the show there. Last year I fell in love with an Ocean Wave quilt, done Amish style (probably was Amish or Mennonite made) with bright colors for the waves and a black background. Someday I'll get mine done.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was this what they call a "mud sale?" (I heard about them being called so becasue they are held after the harvest when the fields are plowed geting ready for planting...)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Mama Koch said...

There's one of these Mennonite Relief sales here in Okla. Even though I haven't attended I've heard it's still a very large event. Maybe the younger ones will realize that the need is still there and join i.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Sorry to hear it rained and you missed some. I love your pictures of the ones you did see. That mariner's compass is lovely! And I spied a small log cabin one in the other picture that looked fun!

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home