Tuesday, October 31, 2006

All Hallow's Eve























I've always loved Halloween, it was such an exciting day when I was a kid. My sisters and I could hardly stand to wait until it got dark, that was when Mom would let us start trick-or-treating. Supper was torture, and we had to eat or else we wouldn't be allowed to go trick-or-treating. It was such a blast to be able to choose to be anything we wanted, and of course having people give us free candy wasn't so bad either!
I think being a gypsy was my favorite thing, I remember being so excited about being able to wear makeup and big earrings. Of course our aunt's and uncle's homes were the first stops, and they would ohhhhh and ahhhh over our costumes and always had the best candy to get us started. It was so fun (and scary) to run around the neighborhood in the dark, see what the other kids were wearing, "scare" the people answering their doors, and compare and trade candy. Actual full sized candy bars were the best, but rare, of course nobody wanted those gross candies in the solid black or orange wrappers. What were those things anyway, and why did anyone buy them? I was a picky kid, so I'll bet my sisters usually came out better in the candy trades, there were a lot of things I didn't like.
We lived in a quiet little neighborhood, so we didn't have to worry about our safety, though I remember when we had to start having our candy checked at home before we could eat any, there were reports of pins and razor blades in apples and candy tampering.
Though my kids are grown and I don't have anyone to trick or treat with right now, I still love it. I still carve pumpkins, decorate the house with cute Halloween things and love watching scary movies (Sleepy Hollow being one of my favorites). Unfortunately, living in the country, we usually don't get trick-or-treaters here. We did get one family this year, good thing we always buy candy just in case!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home