Sunday, October 22, 2006

Lazy Weekend

I can partly blame the weather, it was rainy almost all weekend, but mostly I'm just feeling lazy. When the cold weather sets in I just feel like curling up in a comfortable place with some thick socks on and a warm quilt wrapped around me and reading until I fall asleep (and then sleeping until MAY!).
Since I didn't do anything exciting I'm just posting some pics of things around the house. We live in an old house, it's on the 1873 plat maps, so it was built sometime before that. From what I've learned about the construction of old houses I would guess it was built around 1870, give or take a few years. From the time we first saw this place I felt like we were supposed to be here, and I've loved it ever since, it was a great place to raise kids. It's been remodeled pretty much everywhere, but it's still got a lot of charm.
I made this ark set about 10 years ago. I looked at any pictures I could find of carved Noah's ark sets and carved the animals mostly from pieces of pine that were left over from the construction at the church we were attending at the time. I guess that's kind of fitting for an ark. I want to get back to wood carving, but so far have been too engrossed in quilting. I think a lot of the problem is that it's a bit difficult to wood carve in the house, it's pretty messy, quilting fits into my lifestyle better. I made another set of animals that I need to make an ark for, and I'd like to make one more set so that each of the kids can have one someday. I use basswood now, it's good for carving and fortunately we have basswood trees on our property.

5 Comments:

Blogger DubiQuilts said...

Your home is very cozy. I like the fall quilt.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

I love "old"....can I come play at your house? Everything looks soooo inviting...and I love that wallhanging!!
angie
www.threadcatcher.blogspot.com

6:55 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

Thank you for sharing - your carving is wonderful! How fortunate you are to live in such a wonderful old house. Quilts are the most perfect decor for such a place - along with wood carvings!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Jenni @ Fairybread said...

I love your little animals and quilt, and that dresser is pretty nice too.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Oh I love the wood hutch, that old house has got to be soo cool!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home