Monday, October 16, 2006

That's more like it

The snow melted and we had a pretty nice weekend after all, now they're forecasting a week of rain.....ah well, what can you do? I actually got outside and did a little work this weekend, Steve and I cut up a branch that fell out back & got some wood cut and stacked by the woodstove. I spend way too much time sitting and sewing, it feels good to get out and do some work. I do miss the kids, though, it was more fun when they were back there running around the woods. They'd help move the brush & load the smaller pieces, and got a kick out of seeing the trees fall, especially the bigger ones.

Steve got a new trailer for his tractor, he and our SIL had to run right out and put it together immediately & we all got to ooooohhh and aaaaaaaahhhh over it. He works too much, and really enjoys coming home and working on his tractor, I imagine he feels the same way about it that I do about my Bernina (only my Bernina can't do nearly as much cool stuff!).

This quilt was made in less than 3 weeks, a world record for me. My son, who was visiting from Seattle recently, mentioned that the quilt I made for his wedding needs some small repairs, so I told him to have his wife send it home. His wife said she really didn't want to send it, as they're using it & would miss it, so I jokingly said I'd have to send a "Loaner Quilt". When Jas got home he e-mailed and asked if I could get that loaner quilt sent out, ha! Guess he didn't know I was joking. I asked my DH about sending a quilt off our bed, but he won't part with one of them, soooooo what to do? I tried to think of the fastest way to make a quilt, didn't want to do a tied one, so I made large individual blocks, machine quilted each one and then put them together. It's taken about 2-3 weeks of working on it almost every day. The blue/green/purple side is my favorite, I hate the bright side (why did I buy those fabrics anyway?), but I figured someone would like it and I was right, my daughter likes that side the best. I renamed it "Madman Across the Water", I think that describes it pretty well and I was listening to a lot of Elton John while I was making it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Deb H said...

Oh, I like the brights too. It's very pretty! I made one very similar for my son & DIL in blues. greens.& purples. I like that it's completely reversible. I've made 4 large quilts that are reversible, but that method was the easiest construction.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Oh your woods look so beautiful and I LOVE the 3 week quilt! That is gorgeous!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

What a pretty color combo on your quilt, it looks great!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

thanks for stopping by my blog.
I love the quilt your MIL gave you for Christmas.
I also like the quilt you made. It's very colorful.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

OK - I just can't figure out how you joined the quilted blocks together. I love this quilt, and I love this idea, too! Please tell!

BTW-your pictures on the blog are so very artful - gorgeous as the quilts!

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home