Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tutorial on putting finished blocks together-


I had a couple of ladies ask how I put the blocks together for the "Loaner Quilt", so I'm going to attempt a tutorial. I saw this method in a couple of different articles a while back (I'll give credit if I can figure out where I saw it). I'm not sure if they did it exactly the same way, but I remembered the general idea.

Start with your quilted block of any size, for this quilt one side was pretty wild and one was mild colors. I cut a 1 inch strip of green from the wild colors, and a 1.5 inch strip of blue from the mild colors. Fold the 1.5 inch blue strip in half and iron it. I like to cut the strips a bit longer than the blocks and trim them down later.
Place the 1 inch green strip on top of one block (on top of the wild side of the quilt), and the blue strip on the bottom, with the rough edge to the outside edge of the block, pinning carefully so the edges of all the pieces match up. Sew a 1/4 inch seam along the edge.
At this point I trim the ends of the strips so they're even with the size of the block. Get another block and placing the "wild sides" of the two blocks together, pin the other edge of the green strip to the second block, and sew a 1/4 inch seam. Picture three is showing how my block looked with the green strip pinned and ready to sew, this blue block is the other side of the block in the first picture.
Lay the blocks out flat as shown in the fourth picture and flip over the blue strip and pin (iron it down if you want), and hand sew along the fold (which will run right along the line of stitching). I was going to show one last pic of the other side, but blogger has had enough, no more pics tonight!
Use this method to put together your rows of blocks, and then put those rows together the same way (using strips the length of the rows). When you pin the rows together be sure to check that the block edges and sashing match up as you go.
I hope this makes sense, let me know if you have a suggestion to make it easier to understand.

2 Comments:

Blogger DubiQuilts said...

Thank-you for the tutorial, I am going to try it. It reminds me of the rag jeans/flannel quilts I made for my sons.

4:23 PM  
Blogger KCQuilter said...

I just discovered your blog---it is great! I will visit often. Love your quilts and your wood-carved Noah's ark. You are very talented!!!

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home