Thursday, November 09, 2006

Quilts of course

What a day! It was about 60 degrees today, maybe a little warmer. So beautiful, I wish is would stay like this for a month or so!
I don't have any new projects to share (I'm still hand quilting the Grandmother's Flower Garden), so I thought I'd show you some old quilts I have. This was made by my husband's grandmother (Marie Glenn). I believe the pattern is called Nosegay. She made such beautiful quilts, and her hand quilting was so neat and small. I believe this is the first quilt we got from her, she didn't care for this one too much, she wasn't real excited about scrap quilts and this was an old top she'd done in the 50s, so she seemed a little confused by my choice, but I LOVE this quilt.

This Ocean Wave quilt was in Grandma Glenn's house, I'm pretty sure she made it, but she didn't sign or label her quilts, so I can't be positive. This one was under a mattress, and it's in really bad shape, very faded, the edges are just torn apart. It must have been special to her to keep it despite it's condition.

This indigo quilt was from my Grandpa's family. Grandpa Pete was born in 1891, and I'm sure this belonged to his parents or he wouldn't have kept it.
He never showed this to us when he was living, and didn't talk about his family, so I don't know the story on it. There are some great old fabrics here and I love the look of the indigo blue.
Lastly is a picture of my new quilt hanger, I've wanted one of these forever. We bought this at Lolly's in Shipshewana on our last visit there. Looks like I need to get a bigger quilt done!
I wanted to mention something helpful that I learned just in case you've had the same problem. Sometimes I can only get blogger to upload 3 pictures or so, then it will tell me the pic uploaded, but it's not there. I read on someone's blog to just take the html from one of the other pics you've uploaded, and just replace the name of the picture file with the name of the one that didn't show up. And it WORKED!Hooray!

7 Comments:

Blogger Patti said...

What wonderful antique treasures you have there - how very lucky you are to both own these family heirlooms and appreciate their value. It's too bad their stories weren't better documented. I especially love the nosegay - I've always wanted to make that one. Thank you for sharing!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Aren't you lucky...all of those quilts are beautiful! And such a treasure!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Jane Ann said...

Your "inheritances" are stunning. I'm a red girl so I love the nosegay in particular.

P.S. I switched from Blogger to WordPress, and will eventually close my Blogger site. Since your comments are restricted to Blogger members, I probably won't be able to comment on your blog after that. But I'll be reading. I love your posts and your pics!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Jenni @ Fairybread said...

I love the indigo quilt. The colours are so vivid despite its age. How lovely to be able to look at those old fabrics.

2:39 AM  
Blogger DubiQuilts said...

The quilts are outstanding! I too have old quilts from my husbands family that are worn out. I take these quilts out and refold them 4 times a year and just look at them.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Oh I love that ocean waves and indigo quilt! Those 2 are me!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

What beautiful old quilts, and such a legacy! I especially like the indigo one. Scrap quilts are my favorites, too.

Your quilt is quite lovely, as well. The colors are favorites of mine.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home