Sunday, December 31, 2006

In with the New

I'm looking forward to starting the new year, the last one wasn't so great. We're still dealing with some problems that resulted from the house fire, it's amazing how much even a 'small' fire will disrupt your life. Part of it was our inexperience in dealing with such things, if we had known to never trust a building contractor and to have everything written up in an ironclad contract, we would have been saved a world of trouble. We still haven't settled things with the last contractor, he seems to want to keep stringing things out. We had trusted him because he was recommended by a friend, another VERY expensive lesson learned. We're still finding problems with the work done on the house, unfortunately, but I'm going to stay optimistic about it and hope that we'll be able to deal with the thing that have been done wrong. We don't want anyone else here to work on the house, definitely had enough of that.



We've been having such nice weather, yesterday we had a high of around 54 degrees and actually had sun for most of the day. It was really nice. The pic at the right is of a bunch of birds that were congregrating in the bushes, I was walking by and they were just chattering a mile a minute. There must have been a couple hundred of them. They were right near a feed mill, so maybe they were discussing their lunch plans.

In sewing related news... don't you love my cute new scissors? My son got these for me for Christmas. They're golden stork scissors from Dovo, made in Solingen, Germany. He said that they used to be used for cutting umbilical cords, thus the stork. They have a very sharp point and should be good for applique.
We just had Christmas with our daughter and son-in-law tonight (they just got back from Florida), and are having our big Christmas dinner tomorrow. My daughter, Taiya, made me a quilted wall hanging (I've been scheming endlessly to get her interested in quilting, so this is an extra great present!). When it's bound I'll show a pic. Taiya took lots of beautiful pictures in Florida, hopefully she'll let me borrow a couple for my next blog.
I'm working on a new quilt project, a really adorable quilt for my niece (well, for her baby actually). I've been trying to finish old projects, but this is different, she's about 5 months along so I can't put this project off. I'll try to show a pic tomorrow, it's just the cutest thing.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jane Ann said...

Don't you have lovely children?! The scissors are wonderful. I wonder if the umbilical cord story is true. (I'm such a skeptic!) I have always wondered about the stork thing (Gingher makes some stork scissors too). Makes sense. (How on earth did he know Dovo makes such wonderful implements?)

10:47 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

jane ann, This is the only way I can respond to your comment, so hopefully you'll check back. My son was working in a cutlery store in Seattle, so there's a good chance that it's a true story, but you never know!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Love the little scissors! Dovo's are the best - I used to love my Ginghers best but no more. I'll have to hunt through the internet for a pair of these. How cute!

1chartfp@comcast.net

5:08 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ann Smith said...

Hi Sue! Thanks for surfing in to my site...blogger of course logged you in as "no reply"... can't believe it is as warm in Michigan as it is here. Today we're supposed to hit 49! In January!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one bummed about Eragon...hope your DD is right and someone re-does it, and does it right! (grin) Cheers, Sarah

5:05 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Beautiful scissors! I have the scissors from the hospital when my kids were born, but they are big and clunky! But I had to keep them!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Deb H said...

Are those Grossbeaks in that tree?

It must feel strang to have such warm weather in Jan.

I have a child in Seattle too. I never knew why the stork was on the scissors. Interesting bit of trivia.

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home