Thursday, December 07, 2006

Let it snow, let it snow....okay already!

I'm not really complaining, it's just beautiful. but we got something like 14 inches of snow since yesterday. Dax usually likes running around in it, but this seems to be a bit much even for her. It's not going to stick around too long, it's supposed to be warming up in the next few days. That's how it goes, we get snow & then it melts. The winters used to be different when I was a kid, we didn't have as much of this on & off, I prefer when the snow comes and stays for a while rather than melting away and then we have to deal with the muddy mess. The snow is really light and fluffy, it's insulating the ground so well that it's not freezing, so everythings mushy underneath. Probably not good for the people that are going off the road.

Not to go on forever with this "when I was a kid" stuff but....when I was a kid and we got a snow like this NOBODY would be on the road. It was kind of cool, everything got real quiet in town (Kalamazoo). I loved taking walks on nights like that.
We lived right next to a school with big hills, so we went sledding a lot. Every kid within walking distance would be there as soon as the first big snow hit. It was such a blast, I'm surprise we never got frostbite because we were pretty much frozen by the time we dragged our sleds home. You don't see nearly as many kids sledding there these days, guess they're busy paying video games. Not a good sign.

More door art- I found this new stuff at Hobby Lobby called Stencil Paste. The stencils that are used with it are thicker than the usual stencil. You put the stencil down and apply the paste, run a putty knife over it and ta-da! This is the door of my sewing room, after a day of drying I painted another coat on it and it looks great. I still have another door to re-do, I may have to wait until spring, though, I imagine it has as many coats of paint as this one did. Since the house was built before 1873, I imagine some of the paint on there was lead paint, so we do our stripping outside.

I've been working on some quilts, but don't have any pics of them today. I got the binding done on the Fancy Grandmother's Flower Garden, and am trying to finish up some applique on another quilt top. I'm not too happy with that one, but want to finish the top at least. I was making it for our new bedroom, but we went with totally different colors than I was planning, so it doesn't really fit anymore. I love the fabrics, but am not happy with how I put them together. Oh well, someday someone may come across it and absolutely love it.
Can we go in now?

3 Comments:

Blogger Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Ah - sometimes I miss snow. It doesn't snow on the surface of the sun - Sigh! LOL

I love your GFG quilts - very lovely!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Scrapmaker said...

You're helping me to remember the snows from my Michigan childhood.
It is lovely, but an awful lot of work!
I enjoyed seeing the Grandmother's flower garden quilt. It's neat that it has a family history. Jen

1:30 PM  
Blogger Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Love the photos of the dogs. The first one is a classic - I had to look at it a while to figure it out.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home