Sunday, January 07, 2007

Warning: Extreme CUTENESS

This is the quilt top that I've been working on for my niece, isn't that adorable? Of course it looks all wonky because it's hanging on my curtain, but I promise it's all straight and nice in real life. The pattern is from the booklet "Peek-a-boo Crib Set" by Amy Bradley Designs. I already had a baby quilt done for her, but when I saw this at the local quilt shop, I just couldn't resist making one. Not sure what I'll do about the quilting, I usually hand quilt but there's a lot of fusing here. I may have someone machine quilt it for me. The first time around I hired the Machine Quilter From Hell, but I know that most quilters aren't like her, so I'm willing to give it another try.

Even though it's been a rainy, dreary day and we didn't get to take a walk again, I consider it a good day. I got the quilt top done, and I got a phone call from Sardinia, Italy! My youngest son (Alex) is there, and he hasn't been able to call home much because of the cost, so it was great to hear from him. His traveling buddy, Patrick, has family in Sardinia, so for a few days they're going to actually be able to sleep in beds and eat normal meals (BIG meals apparently!). He said they sat down to eat & ended up having a 6 course meal. He hadn't expected that, so he ate a LOT in the first couple of courses and was quite stuffed by the second dessert. I never even heard of a second dessert. Sounds like fun though.

Alex and Patrick were sitting around recently and one of them said "We should go to Europe!" ....and so a couple of weeks later they did, can you imagine? So glad he's like that, I would have come up with a hundred reasons why it wasn't a good idea, or we couldn't afford it, or whatever, which is probably why I've never been to Europe! I'm so jealous, they were in Paris on New Years, have been to Germany, Venice & Rome.....I can't wait to see the pictures. That's Alex in the picture above, I don't have a lot of pictures of him since he moved to California, but I like this one- because it's a picture of him talking on the phone to me.

Not sure what to work on next, I'm really trying to get some UFOs done, and have made some progress. I just finished a candlewicked Christmas tree skirt that has been sitting around here for years, have done some work on the Amish Ocean Wave & have finished a baby sized quilt top for charity. Next I guess I'd better work on three postcards I need to make for an on-line swap, those are due by the end of the month. Tomorrow will be the first $5 block of the month class for the new year. We're doing 2-color quilts and I picked blue & white, I'm looking forward to see what it will look like.

I've been trying to take time to read more, I have SO many books piled up around here and keep finding more to add to the pile. I just finished The Historian, which I really liked, and am now reading The Tenth Circle, which I just started (but so far so good!).

1 Comments:

Blogger Nines said...

Adorable!! She'll love it! So exciting to get a phone call from DS- And how exciting for him to be traveling! I have a cousin that spent a few months in China that way- she and her dad went at Xmas- they travel each Xmas because her mom died at that time of year- but when it was time to return to the states, she decided to stay longer- she had made some friends of some of the locals. how cool is that? Oh, to be young again! Hey we might do something crazy someday, too. ya never know!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home