Saturday, March 31, 2007

Getting to work

I've actually been working in my sewing room quite a bit. Sadly, I think that it's mainly because my husband has been home and if I'm not busy he will most likely want help digging some holes or clearing brush or something. I help out outdoors sometimes, but I definitely prefer sewing or quilting! Check out the cute thing I made today. I found this idea here, and thought it was brilliant. I had wanted to get some watercolor pencils for a young artist I know, and this idea came along at the perfect time.
She loves to draw cats, so I used this Laurel Burch fabric for the backing. I hope she likes bright colors. I'm not really into brights, but I love Laurel Burch's fabrics anyway, they're so imaginative and charming. I think it turned out pretty well for my first one. I used batting between the layers, I think it will help keep the pencils in place. Maybe I'll make one for my colored pencils, too.
My husband talked me into getting a new bike yesterday. We both need to get in better shape and lose some weight. I'm diabetic, and the complications that can go along with that are pretty scary. DH's cholesterol is way too high, so this will be a good thing for both of us. We went for our first ride today, it was a bit cool out, but it was really nice to get out and ride again. It's so great that spring is finally here, people are out working on their lawns, getting exercise, playing with their families.

This is another UFO I've been working on, I had leftover blocks from a quilt I made for my oldest son, and since I have tons of batiks I thought it would be a good idea to keep going. You might think I would have used up quite a bit of my batik stash making these, but no, there will be many batiks left for my gr-gr-grandchildren. I've pretty much accepted that they aren't going to quit making beautiful batiks and I'm not going to be able to resist buying some of them, so hopefully the quilting gene will be strong in future generations. My oldest son wants to learn to quilt, and my daughter has dabbled in it, and also likes to sew a bit, so I'm ever hopeful.

This is the other side of the quilt, it's a little bit different from the first one as I'm making an odd block here & there from batik scraps. I really don't like this side of the quilt, but my kids all liked the 'loud' side on the last quilt, go figure. I make the blocks individually and machine sew them, then sew them together (tutorial here)-scroll down on the page. I don't have the set up to machine quilt large quilts, so this is the best way for me to do it. I mostly hand quilt, but I do a bit of machine quilting here and there.

4 Comments:

Blogger Arlyn said...

What a neat idea!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous kathy said...

It turned out fabulously! I love the Laurel Birch fabric on the outside. It really sets off the colors you chose for the pockets.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Hi Sue, that little pencil holder is really cute! Neat gift! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I got a kick out of it!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Don't you just love that pencil roll! I got one for a gift in Jan made out of ultrasuede and I LOVE it!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home