Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Madman II is finished...

Since I had leftover blocks from the similar quilt I made a while ago for son #1, I thought I would continue on with another one. I was kidding myself, thinking it would use up a lot of my batik stash. Nah, you can't even tell any is missing, but I'm learning to live with it. This is all machine done, which is unusual for me, but it's kind of fun trying out different quilting patterns on the blocks.

I'm not worried about it being perfect, as I'm just learning machine quilting, and nobody is going to be judging this, so it's all good. The flip side is made mostly from the brighter batiks that I don't really care too much for (my kids like that side, though). Not sure why I bought them, they must have appealed to me at the time. This quilt will be my youngest son's birthday present, I don't have a clue what kind of quilts he likes (he just says "No flowers!), but I think he'll be happy with this.


Have you ever heard of a dog that eats apples? Maybe it's not as odd as I think, but all our dogs love them. It started with my daughter's dog, Natalie (left), who has always loved to play catch with the many apples from the apple trees in our yard. One day she decided to eat one and apparently she liked it. She misses the apples so much when the season is over, that we have to buy outdated apples from the store to keep her happy. Since the dogs are all a bit jealous of what the other has, now they all yearn for apples. Weird.
The grass is growing, as you can see, but we're still having chilly temps for this time of year. I'm not going to whine about it too much, because at least we didn't get hit with the big storms that hit the east in the last few days. Many of our spring flowers were too damaged by the snow to come back, but some are actually making a valiant effort to bloom.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to comment on the tragedy at Virginia Tech, but I feel like I shouldn't just post and pretend it didn't happen. It's so heartbreaking, all those young peoples' lives cut short and the many, many people who are devastated by the loss. My thoughts and prayers are with those who are mourning the lives lost there.

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Just looked over your April posts; what a wonderful blog. I remember staying at a nice motel on the lake in Allegan several years ago on the way to Door County with my son and thought Allegan would be a great place to live. You're so lucky to live within reach of Shipshewana, too. I can remember going to Lolly's way many decades ago.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

oh and meant to say the dogs are adorable. Think how healthy they are eating all those apples.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Deb H said...

I didn't know dogs liked apples. That's funny.

It's been a while since I stopped by here. Your trip to Calif. sounded interesting. What an ordeal getting there!

Shipshe.. I want to go back there again. What a nice little town to browse...

I bet the cool temps you're having now will sound good in August. MI summers are the dfinition of hte word 'muggy'! You never get to use that word in Alaska!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thaks for visiting my blog. Love your Madman II quilt-great colors. Hopefully we'll both be enjoying spring weather for good soon. It's nice in NH today.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jenni @ Fairybread said...

My beagle Simon loves apples. He will eat any fruit, he particularly loves grapes. When I try and eat fruit (or anything for that matter), he is beside me begging all the way. He will eat anything except lettuce, and isn't keen on carrot. Your dogs are lovely.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I never heard of dogs who like apples! I know our dog loves apple flavored dog snacks but I never thought to try and give her an apple!

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home