Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May

Today started out cloudy and a bit dull, but it's turned into a beautiful day. My DH is working in Chicago again, and said it was about 85 degrees and sunny there. I think we were the lucky ones here, with temps in the 70s.

As you can see below, the first lilacs have bloomed, the purple ones aren't quite ready yet.


We got a new breadmaker, an Oster. I've been trying to make bread with it for the last couple of days, the results are quite sad (NO pics!). I tried to make wheat bread from scratch first, and it was a big, dry, lumpy mess. The next batch wasn't too bad, but not at all what I'd call good. The next one was quite a sight, the middle sunk right in. Finally I got something edible out of it today, but the crust is pretty hard. We used to have a breadmaker (until one of the kids lost a vital part) and it made much better bread. Not sure if we should trade it in in case it's a faulty one or just take it back. I can make good bread by hand, but my DH would like it a lot more often than I'm willing to make it. Guess I'll try it a couple more times and see how it goes.

I found a new version of Jane Eyre on DVD yesterday, and I love it. It stars Ruth Wilson & Toby Stephens, it's a Masterpiece Theatre movie. Problem is, I've seen enough movie versions of Jane Eyre that I can't remember what was and wasn't actually in the book. Time to read it again.


I was REALLY trying not to start any new projects, but I'm bored with the UFOs I've been working on, and I had a bin full of Civil War repro fabrics calling to me unceasingly. Besides, I'm hand piecing, so it's perfect for working on while watching long movies. The pattern that I was going to use is Civil War Star by Bits 'n Pieces, but I don't think I'll follow the pattern, I'm thinking I might do something a bit different, haven't decided yet. And, yes, I do finish some quilts, I promise.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

Beautiful flowers! And, my goodness those are beautiful Civil War Stars. I can't wait to see more!

8:49 AM  
Blogger tami said...

I love the Civil War Stars. I have been collecting the fabrics, but I haven't started piecint yet. I can't wait to see more of them.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Pretty photo, esp. the first one of the tree and pond. Love your blocks/fabrics within.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Oh yeah! Civil War stars--love them! I can almost smell the lilacs. We always had them in Minnesota, but they don't grow here in Southern VA that I know of.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Love your civil war stars. I have started the CW diary quilt which is turning out to be fun. Your hand piecing is marvellous.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home