Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Great find!

I haven't been blogging because I got caught up in genealogy again. A cousin (genealogy definition; anyone who is distantly related in any way) contacted me & wanted to learn more about my Mom's Schoolcraft family so I got involved again. We're going to meet my Uncle Charley to discuss the family history this weekend, so I thought I'd do some work on his King family, see if I could find anything new for him. Now, to bring quilts into the picture; Uncle Charley has a wonderful crazy quilt that was handed down through his family, supposedly made around the time of the Civil War by Sarah Elizabeth Jones King.

These are some pictures of that quilt, I need to try to get some new pics, I have a better camera now. I don't have a good picture of the whole quilt, but you can get an idea how great it is from these. So I was doing some checking on the King family and thought I'd try just googling some of their names, and found THIS! That first quilt on the museum page was made by Sarah Elizabeth Jones King! The son that she made it for, Emmett C. King, was an actor. He did quite a few movies, but according to the family history "he did some silent movies but lost out out in the talkies".
I can't wait to tell Uncle Charley, I wonder if he'll be half as excited by it as I am. Now I'm itching to figure out how I can get some pictures of that quilt in the museum to compare with my uncle's King quilt. I'm betting it won't be too hard to find similarities between the two if she really did make both of them. I'll try to post some better pictures after this weekend, the embroidery is beautifully done, some of the motifs are painted, it's really quite beautiful.
Time to get back to the quilting room, I really enjoy genealogy, but like quilting better!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jane Ann said...

I'm a genealogist too, and it can really suck you in, can't it? What a treasure you found!

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home