Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I just haven't felt like doing much of anything lately. My sewing room is calling me, but I can't get myself in there for some reason. I can't even decide which quilt to make for my future grandbaby, I keep looking at that very cute fabric I got, but can't decide what to do with it. Not the first time I've been in a slump like this, so I'm just waiting for it to pass.

So, because I haven't been making headway on my own projects I'll just show you some of my husband's grandmother's quilts. Her name was Mae Marie Glenn and she made some beautiful quilts. I think I may have shown some of them on here before. Her hand quilting was amazing, small consistent stitches even when she was in her 80s.
I have a few of her quilts, this tulip quilt is one of those. It's so white that I'd be scared to use it, we don't have the kind of house where something like that would stay in that condition very long. So I just air it out once or twice a year on a nice day and put it back in the pie safe. It should be in great shape for future generations.

The Broken Star quilt is one that I'm lusting after. It's so amazing, I can't even imagine how much time it took to piece it, much less hand quilt the whole thing. I wish she had kept a record of all the quilts she made, she sold quite a few of them & gave some to family members. She loved to show them to people, so I think she'd be pleased to have people looking at them on the internet.

Not much going on around here, just enjoying the summer. It's been really dry, but we actually got a decent amount of rain today (finally!). Not sure if it's enough to help the corn crops around here, they've been looking really stressed out. This weekend my husband will be starting on the fence between our house and the neighbors because there is much truth to the saying "Good fences make good neighbors". Especially when the neighbors like to poach deer and steal large rocks off your property. I have a hard time understanding people like that. Last weekend they got their 5 acres logged out, of the trees that are left many are damaged, it's just a sad sight to see a lovely woods decimated like that. It doesn't make a lot of sense since they burn wood to heat their home and he likes to hunt, but I get the impression they don't really think things through. Hopefully we'll have the fence up all the way back by fall so he won't be hunting on our land this year. Oh yeah, and they have a pit bull that they don't have control over (named COOTER) and it keeps coming over here when it gets loose. Sounds like something straight out of a Will Ferrell movie, doesn't it?

4 Comments:

Blogger paula, the quilter said...

What lovely, lovely quilts. I love the old ones like the first photo. In fact, I have a double wedding ring quilt of my fraternal grandmother's that uses that very same yellow as the background.

5:11 PM  
Blogger keryn said...

I love that quilt with the yellow background,very beautiful.

Like you, we need a fence between us and our neighbours. We discovered a while ago that white trash is only funny when it doesn't live next door to you.....

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Jane Ann said...

Ugh. The neighbors sound like a nightmare. Good decision on the fence--hope it helps.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Sharon said...

Sue, those are wonderful quilts. Thanks for sharing them with us.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home