Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cabin Fever

Is anyone else having this problem? We've just been having such bad weather here that I haven't wanted to get out much. Well, I've wanted to, but I don't have the gumption to do it, most of the time a nap sounds like a better idea. Now they're calling for another winter storm tonight with lots of freezing rain and snow, yuck. Actually I did get out for a while today, my daughter and I went to see 27 Dresses. It was cute, even though you can pretty much figure out the whole plot from the beginning, we both really enjoyed it.

I guess this weather is good for something, I've actually gotten a couple of quilt tops done. This Christmas quilt top went pretty fast, I was trying to get it done while I was still in a Christmas mood so I worked hard on it. Hopefully I'll get it quilted by next Christmas. I want to make three Christmas quilts so each of my children can inherit one. This pattern is from Strips & Strings by Evelyn Sloppy. I probably wouldn't have made it just from seeing the picture in the book, it's more muted colors. Our LQS had this quilt hanging in their store, and it was bright colors like these, which I was really drawn to.

The second top is from a $5 block class at a LQS. I join every year mostly because I have a quilt buddy that also goes and we know we'll always have that day to get together, go to class, and have dinner together (and GAB like crazy!). I have about 5 years worth of blocks from these classes, but so far I think this is my favorite set of blocks. It really looks better in person, the border is made from a batik fabric with white swirls & it looks really nice with the blocks.


I'm still waiting patiently for my first grandbaby, she's due in about two weeks. In the meantime I get to play with this little guy. He's the son of my daughter's friend, and she lets me be "Grandma Sue". He's a lot of fun, but can you tell that he doesn't sit still much? All the pictures I took were a blur, he has a very short attention span. He's really a joy, though, learning something new every day.

I have a question, if anyone can help with this I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering what to use for pincushion filler. I don't want to just use stuffing, I'd like something that will give weight. I can use sand, but wondered if there's something better than isn't too expensive.


3 Comments:

Blogger Kathie said...

I love your Christmas quilt Wow your right it looks wonderful in brighter colors.
Love the red background fabric, have to get that book out again.
Thanks for sharing your pictures...yes the $5. quilts are fun to do with a shop, blocks you wouldn't have made other wise and 12 blocks for $5. is awesome!
filler for pincushions I would be interested in hearing all the suggestions too.
Kathie

11:34 PM  
Blogger Mama Koch said...

My Mom use to use sawdust in pincushions. When my Dad would work in his shop, she would save it for later use.
There are several wood-shops in our area...if you can't find any, let me know (if you want to try it).

8:27 AM  
OpenID jettstream said...

You might check out this product at JoAnn.com:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3406&PRODID=prd50773&source=search#review

(If this link doesn't work, do a search for "stuffing pellets.")

I believe these will work for a pin cushion, because it was recommended for a scrap bag that hangs from the cutting table. The stuffed part is supposed to act as both a weight and a pin cushion, though I haven't actually tried it yet.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home