Thursday, June 26, 2008

I might be a winner....

I can't believe it! I never win anything, but I was a winner in the Quilting Blogger's We Reached a Thousand contest. I chose this adorable pattern from Dorothy Baker . It also includes many of the fabrics to make the quilt. Hopefully I'll get going on it soon, otherwise it will have to be a present for the next grandbaby. If you get a chance, check out Dorothy's blog & look at her other beautiful patterns . Thanks again Dorothy, I love my prize & I still have a hard time believing I actually won something!

Yummmm! My daughter & I went to a local berry farm today and picked up these beauties! I'm going to freeze them so I don't have to buy those yucky, tasteless things they have at the grocery stores in the winter. I may have to get some more, though, because I have to make strawberry shortcake a couple of times, too. When the kids were young, we'd go pick our own, I wonder if they remember that. We picked about every fruit we could & made jams & goodies from them. I don't make the jam anymore because I'm diabetic & the recipes use too much sugar. I tried the no sugar stuff, but it didn't taste nearly as good as the sugarless jams they sell at the store, so I'll stick to that.

We used to get much bigger berries, but maybe the weather made a difference this year, or maybe it's because the season is nearing it's end. I recently read an article (I think in Psychology Today) about fruit and veggies & it said that the largest and best looking aren't actually the best for you. The ones that have been stressed and are imperfect are actually healthier to eat. I found that pretty strange, since by instinct we want the best looking and largest fruit & vegetables.

More of my flowers are blooming, many of the earlier bloomers were flattened by the rain, but some really pretty lilies are coming out now. I just bought these pretty yellows last year, there are reds mixed in there that are just starting to open up. I guess they liked the spot I picked for them. I love flowers, but I'm a lazy gardener. Once the weather gets hot I'm heading for the air conditioning. It's not bad, actually, if I get a good start in the spring the flower gardens don't get too bad. The vegetable garden is another matter. I've been doing a LOT of weeding & I'm losing the battle already. My DH is finding time to do some tilling, if he can keep up with that I'll be okay. I always say I want a small garden & then he always plants a huge one, I really hope this year we can keep it in good shape, I don't want to pay the high prices at the grocery store for fruit & veggies that aren't half as good as what we can grow. Hopefully I'll have some good veggie pics to post before too long, and not just zucchini!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home