Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fairy Princess & etc.

My grandbaby went to her first Renaissance fair this weekend, so of course she had to go as her natural self, a fairy princess. My daughter & I made her outfit, and I must say I think it turned out really cute. She was a big hit, but my daughter & her husband were disappointed with the fair this year.

Usually it has a lot of kid oriented games and things, the one year that I went it seemed like most things were geared towards kids. I guess this year they're much more adult oriented. It's too bad as it's something they've enjoyed going to every year and they always took someone's children along since it's so much fun watching kids have fun. The time I went I was surprised at the lengths people go to for this type of thing, they really dressed up and got into the spirit of it, it was pretty cool. They don't think they'll be going back next year. Oh well, I guess a fairy princess can always find somewhere to go.

DH and I mostly stayed home this weekend, there's always so much that needs to be done around here. He spends most of a day every weekend mowing the lawn, with all the rain we've had it's really growing. I worked in the garden for quite a while today, but I'm not ready to post any pictures yet, but I found my first green tomatoes & purple peppers today, that was pretty exciting! I feel like it's a losing battle, we really grow some healthy weeds around here, it seems like by the time I get to the end of a row the weeds are already gaining ground on the other end. I'm really making an effort to keep up with it this year, we're trying to save money so we can still afford to drive our cars and growing our own veggies is part of it. Some of the veggies are a bit stunted (by the rain & cooler that usual nights, I'm guessing), but hopefully as the summer gets warmer they'll bounce back.

I have been sewing & quilting, but just working on UFOs so I don't really have any pics to show. I did whip up a little clothespin bag over the weekend for my daughter. I just copied my clothespin bag, using a vintage feedsack (so any stains & faded lettering you might see are supposed to be there!). I perused my Home Companion magazines and actually found a picture relating to laundry (don't worry, I don't plan on selling this, it's strictly for my daughter's use, so Mary shouldn't mind). I used those handy cotton sheets that can be printed on an ink jet printer (another first for me & it worked out great!). I enjoyed actually using some of my ric-rac stash & also some old embroidery floss I've had around here for ages, I need to use up a lot more of the stuff I've collected over the years.
My daylilies are looking good this year, they must like the weather. I have some mystery daylilies that I bought at a yard sale this spring, I can't wait to see what colors they are, but they may not bloom until next spring after being transplanted. The colors of everything seem especially vivid this year, I hope the summer continues to be as nice as it's been so far. I don't care much for the heat we get later in the summer, so I'll have an excuse to stay in my craft room & do a lot of sewing.
Time to go catch up on my blog reading, since we're not planning any trips this summer I'm living vicariously through you guys, so be sure & do some really fun stuff this summer & post lots of pics, will ya?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy said...

Sue, your grandaughter is just precious! She looks so good natured.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Your grand-daughter is so cute in her little outfit. What great memory pictures!

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home