Sunday, September 14, 2008

Why I don't like Ike

Ike has really been a pain, I'm glad he's just passing by and not staying around for a while. I know I have absolutely NO room to complain as we're not even in his direct path & he posed no danger to us, but we are tired of the relentless rain after three days and three nights. It's really too bad he didn't take a sharper turn to the east, the southern states really need the water. We DON'T. Fortunately the car in the picture turned around, that little stretch of road isn't too great on a good day. Did you notice there are no road signs warning of the washout? Someone's going to drive right into that tonight after dark if they don't get over there with some barricades.

This is a barn on a blueberry farm in Kalamazoo. Their land is terribly flooded in this low lying area, fortunately blueberries like wet feet so they should be okay. This house below is across the street from the barn, they don't even have a pond in their yard usually, but they probably have one in the basement now. According to the weather reports the deluge should be over soon, Ike is heading east.
I did get some excellent news that really brightened up an otherwise dreary, yucky day. I won an awesome gift on a blog giveaway. I'm going to wait until it arrives to share the details so stay tuned!

So, on to other things. I want to show you a couple of cute things, the first is a garage sale find. I'm not sure how old it is, but they don't make children's plates out of glass these days. Isn't that cute? I love kid's things, especially the old fairy tale books & school readers.

Next is.....ta-daaaaa.....a finished project (!), and a Christmas present to boot. Hmmmm....now I'm wondering about the expression "to boot", I know it means "as well", but I'm curious how that came about. I need to find a book that explains those old expressions that have been passed down.

But I digress (I do that a lot in real life!), back to the subject at hand. I made this quilt top a few years ago for my eldest son who likes kokopelli. I got caught up in other projects and never finished it until now. It's not a good pic because it's too dark & rainy to go outside but I couldn't wait to share this so at least you get the general idea. It's a lap sized quilt, hand quilted & in the big empty looking squares is a quilting design that I altered a bit from the original stencil, now the pattern includes little kokopelli & lizards.
Not sure if I can get a pic that will show the hand quilting even on a good day, but I'm going to try to get better pictures when I can. These colors are not at all my favorite, but I really hope my son likes it. The lady at the store where I got the backing was going crazy over it, so there's aways hope! The colors aren't right in this bad light, the brown batik background is much prettier, so hopefully when the sun returns I can get more accurate shots of the colors.
I haven't shared a pic of my grandbaby for a while, so here you go! She is the sweetest thing, she's babbling now, trying to pull herself up, putting her hands out to be picked up and always has big smiles for her grandma. Babies are such a joy, aren't they?



1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Sue, your granddaughter is so beautiful! What a smile! My youngest lives in K'zoo and said some of the roads were blocked today because of water. Stay dry!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home