Monday, January 05, 2009

Close, but no cigar.

It's finished! Not in time for Christmas, but I'm really glad to have it done. Now I need to make two more Christmas quilts so that I have one to pass down to each of the kids. I'm not making three alike, that would drive me crazy, so I'm looking at different patterns & trying to decide what the other two will be. This one is called Winter Wishes, it's from the book Strips & Strings by Evelyn Sloppy. My LQS had one real similar to this hanging up in their shop & I've wanted to make it ever since I first saw it. It's machine pieced and hand quilted. I really like the quilts in this book, especially since I have lots of leftover strips from previous projects that I'd like to use up. Well, I say 'use up' but it never works out that way. I had hoped this Christmas quilt would use up a lot of my Christmas stash, but as usual, my stash is not noticibly diminished, I think there are little magic elves in my craft room that restock my scrap stash at night.
It doesn't seem possible that Christmas is over already, every year it seems to fly by faster. At least I'm not having the usual post-Christmas let down this year. Maybe it's having my grandbaby around that makes the difference. Speaking of which (or whom), she walked a few steps for the first time today! I didn't see it myself, but maybe I will today since I'm babysitting this afternoon. She's just over 10 months old & is doing new things all the time, we have a lot of fun with her.


I've already started quilting on another UFO from the pile I plan to work through this year. It's a blue & white quilt from one of the $5 block classes I've taken at my LQS. I'm not usually too thrilled with the quilt blocks from those classes (I went mostly to hang out with my quilting buddy), but I think I'm going to like this quilt. I'll post a pic of it soon. I'm trying to figure out what other project to work on, I have a bunch of things I've started & I like to have two or three handy to work on, so when I get tired of quilting or my shoulder squawks too much I can work on something different. I want to try my hand at crocheting some rugs this year, too. My mom used to make them & I have several rugs she made. They're getting pretty worn out, though, so I'd like to get some made to replace them when they're completely worn out. That should use up a lot of the stash, right?

I hope the new year is going well for everyone so far!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeri said...

beautiful quilt! I have the same problem with my scrap basket - it never seems to be depleted.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home