Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My favorite quilt


I decided to take part in Park City Girl's Quilt Festival 2009. If you'd like to join in, you just need to pick out your favorite quilt & link to her web site. There are hundreds of quilters involved, it will take me a while to get through the list and see them all.
I guess technically she didn't specify that it has to be a quilt you made, but I think that's the general idea. So here's my favorite that I've made so far. I wish I had a better camera and a better set-up for taking pictures, but this will have to do.



First of all, I love batiks so that's part of the reason this is one of my favorites. It's machine pieced, hand appliqued, and hand quilted. My camera doesn't do close up pictures very well, but I did a lot of hand quilting on the blocks, following the lines of the fabric design on some of them, so it has a lot of texture. The applique flowers are supposed to be Evening Nightshade, though I believe it actually grows as a bush. I wanted something that sounded a bit dangerous to go along with the colors and look of the quilt.


The name of this quilt is The Deadly Jungle.

If anyone has suggestions as to what kind of camera I should be checking out that will take good close ups, but not be too terribly expensive, I'd appreciate some help. I have to get something that's pretty simple to use as my brain is getting old and doesn't like to remember complicated directions. Too busy concentrating on quilting!

13 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Wow -- I love it! I love making Drunkard's Path blocks so now I have another idea for one!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

I too struggle with getting great close up pictures. I hate to spend thousands just for decent photos of my quilting....but....lol..I love your quilt. I really love your fabrics and love the pattern. Great work!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Zonnah said...

Stunning! I love it.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Very lovely quilt. The applique really sets it off.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Mid Life Cry Sis said...

thanks for sharing! I LOVE BATIKS!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Sue, the quilt is beautiful! The applique finishes it off wonderfully. Thank you for sharing it with us.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Cindy's Stitching said...

What great detail and colors, very nice

10:54 AM  
Blogger Staci K. said...

I love your quilt - the colors are gorgeous. As for your question about a camera, I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS and I love it!

6:59 PM  
Blogger W. Latane Barton said...

beautiful colors, beautiful work

9:19 AM  
Blogger stitchinpenny said...

Just an amazing quilt. I am impressed with all your elements, but mostly the beautiful hand applique

7:42 PM  
Blogger Amy @ Park City Girl said...

Beautiful!! I love all the vibrant colors :) Thanks for sharing!

8:24 AM  
Blogger quiltmom said...

HI Sue,
What a gorgeous circle quilt- I love batiks and have collected a few circle patterns. If you like circle patterns you may want to check out http://jdebreuilsartandquilts.blogspot.com/
Joyce has been playing with circles for awhile. She has created some really terrific wall hangings.
You can find me at quiltmomsjourney.blogspot.com.
Do come and visit if you get a chance,
Warmest regards,
Anna

10:51 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Wow, this is a gorgeous quilt Sue! I love batik's too and am currently working on a top just have to sew on the borders now! I haven't had time to go through all the links to everyone in the quilt festival so I'm glad you stopped by my blog!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home