Sunday, May 03, 2009

Laundry day

We've been having a wet and chilly spring so far, but this weekend was a nice improvement. I was looking at my blog from last year at this time & we were having much nicer weather back then, the trees aren't blooming as much this year. Hopefully the warmer weather will kick in now. Things are definitely GREEN though. We haven't been able to mow the lawn until today because of the rain & it was getting pretty deep. The bad thing is that we'll have more mosquitoes because of all the standing water & it makes things a bit squooshy when we take walks out back to the woods.

It was a good day to air out some of my quilts. A bit sunny, so I didn't keep them out too long, but after a long winter they really need an airing. The pink lily quilt was made by my husband's grandma, Marie Glenn. We've never used it, it's sooooo white that it scares me! She also made the 4-H quilt that's on the left in back. It's really faded out, but still quite pretty. Too old and worn to use, though.



I made the little nine patch. The star quilt top on the right was also made by Grandma Glenn, I need to take a close-up picture of that one, the colors are so great. I hope to get started on quilting it before this year ends. AND she made the green quilt, too. I don't know the name of that pattern, maybe something with Crossroads in the name? The quilt behind the green one is quite old, that's real indigo blue. That one is in bad shape, too, but I love it, the colors and fabrics are so great. It belonged to my Grandpa Pete, he was born in 1891 and it had to come from his Mom & Dad, but I have no idea what the story was or if his Mom quilted. He didn't talk about family and kept his family things hidden away so unfortunately we don't know his family stories. I've been doing the family history for many years, so that sort of drives me crazy (I want to know as much detail as possible about my ancestors) but I'm sure he had his reasons.
I've been playing around with my camera, trying to see if I can get better close-up pictures with it. I'm actually reading the manual and everything! I hate reading the instructions, I just want to get started and use whatever new thing I get, but sometimes it's just necessary. If it doesn't work out then I won't feel too guilty about getting a new camera, so it's all good.


I can't tell you how great it feels to finally have some warm weather, to be able to enjoy the sunshine. Winter just goes on so long that every year about March I feel like I'd really like to live somewhere else, but when spring gets here it's all worth it. I really wouldn't want to live somewhere where it was warm all the time.......unless I could afford to live in Hawaii, I'd have to give that a shot!
I still have more quilts to air out, so hopefully we'll have more nice days this week and I'll be able to share some more clothesline pictures. Hope you all enjoyed your weekend as much as we did!

1 Comments:

Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, those are great family quilts. Especially like the nile green one and the old indigo behind it.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home