Friday, June 04, 2010

June

June already, I hate how the best parts of the year fly by. It hasn't been my best spring ever because of some health issues, but things are getting better every day so I'm not complaining. We've had some absolutely beautiful weather in the last month, yesterday was one of those picture perfect days that you wish you could just save and have every day of the year. Things are blooming everywhere so it's fun just to drive around and check out the flowers and trees.


And I have a new grandbaby due any day. Overdue actually, I think she's very comfortable where she is. I recently finished the quilt in the picture for her. The blocks are mostly old redwork patterns, some that I found in books and some that I saw online at auctions for old redwork quilts. I tried to use appropriate repro fabrics. Kind of wish it would have been a bit more colorful, but it was hard to find reds in the colors that I wanted. I wanted deep reds, not pinkish or brownish colors, so this is what I ended up with, and I'm pleased with how it turned out.




I love the old redwork quilts, with their very whimsical and sweet pictures, things that a young child can easily identify with. It's all hand quilted, hopefully it will hold up many years to come. I'm sure little Missy, who's now two, will have fun talking about the animals & balloons on there, she's very into animals lately.







Another thing I love about this time of year is garage sales. I haven't been to too many, for some reason I can't sleep like a normal person & am usually up until the wee hours, so it's about impossible to get up and hit the sales early. I have managed to hit a few, though, and found this treasure last week. Isn't he great? He's a nut cracker from around 1900, from what I've seen online these sell from $250-400, and I picked him up for $2. Woot! He needs some cleaning up, but I think he'll look great in our old house.
I'm really trying not to pick up too many things in garage sales anymore, of course I'm always on the lookout for old fabrics & things for the grandbabies, but my house is so full of 'stuff' that I need to have a big sale myself and get rid of the things we don't use or need. I can't resist old items like this though, I always wonder about the people who owned and used these items and what their everyday lives were like. I guess someday someone will look at my quilts and wonder the same things.

I hope you're all enjoying your spring, or whatever season you're in right now!

1 Comments:

Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

What a buy!!!!

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home