Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Quilt for Zane

I see they've changed Blogger since I last posted, hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to post photos on here. I've just finished up a quilt for my grandbaby-soon-to-be. His room is decorated with owls, and I found these fabrics in Lolly's in Shipshewana, Indiana.  I went with a log cabin pattern for the blocks since I wanted to keep it simple so the owls would be visible.
The backing fabric is a Robert Kaufman print, it's a plush fabric like Minkee, but it's called Shannon Cuddle. And of course I can't find one scrap of that owl fabric that has the name of the maker on it and I can't find it online, either, which is odd. The quilt is pieced by machine and hand quilted, I used a piece of muslin for the backing and then tacked the Cuddle fabric over the muslin backing. I didn't want to try quilting through the Cuddle fabric as it would have been difficult and would have messed up the plushness of the backing.

My daughter gave me a piece of Minkee quite a while ago to make myself a lap quilt, I really need to get to work on that. On days like this, when it's rainy and cold, I'd love to have something like that to cuddle up with! We're fortunate to be far enough away from Sandy that we're not feeling too many effects from the storm. My husband works on Lake Michigan and he said they had very high winds and big waves today, but where we are (about 20 miles from the lake) it was pretty mild. We're praying for the safety of the people along the coast affected by the storm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home